EHA Group were appointed to carry out the demolition and enabling works at the conjoining site of Blackfriars Road, Rennie House and Wakefield House. These works will allow the area of Blackfriars to become revitalised by giving a huge boost to the area with the creation of approx. 470 new properties, thousands of new jobs and a beautiful widely extended public walkway from Blackfriars Bridge around the water’s edge.
The Blackfriars Demolition works will be carried out in stages beginning with the demolition of Wakefield House, followed by Rennie House and finally the demolishing of 18 Blackfriars Road.
The Demolition Area:
Mad Hatter Pub
The Mad Hatter is a renowned pub and hotel with 30 bedrooms as well as a restaurant. The building was once a hat factory (hence Hatfield nearby) where the process drove the workers mad.
The existing 18 Blackfriars Road is connected to with the Mad Hatter Hotel via the hotels internal courtyard.
Blackfriars Bridge was opened in 1769 under the name of William Pitt Bridge but was shortly after changed to that of Blackfriars, which was supposedly a begging order of the Dominican Monks that had settled in London from 1279.
The arches of the bridge were originally built in Portland Stone and was later rebuilt with the arches in cast iron on granite piers.
Read more about the project.